Weight affects fertility and here is how.
Fertility is often associated with factors that are beyond one’s control. However, there are some factors that, if addressed properly, can actually increase your chances of becoming pregnant. One such factor is your weight. Weight is often determined by calculating your Body Mass Index (BMI) although you may also be considered above average weight if you have a higher percentage of body fat despite having an average apparent weight.
Woman's weight affects her fertility
Being above average weight can have a significant effect on your fertility potential, overall health, and health of your child. In women, it tends to:
1) Produce more estrogen than required, which in turn, affects ovulation and disrupts the menstrual cycle.
2) Have insulin resistance, which impairs the ability to produce eggs each month (a condition called anovulation).
3) Have a higher probability of miscarriage and in delivering babies with heart and neural tube defects.
4) Have complications during pregnancy like higher blood pressure, diabetes, or premature birth.
5) Give birth to babies suffering from fetal macrosomia, a condition in which the baby is larger than average (more than 8 pounds, 13 ounces), increasing the risk of getting injured during birth. Babies with fetal macrosomia also have an increased risk to become overweight later in life.
Man's weight affect his fertility
It is important to note that weight also affects the fertility potential of men. In men, above average weight is linked to decreased sperm production, low libido, and lower testosterone levels. Above average weight men have also higher rate of erectile dysfunction than men with a healthy weight. A recent National Institutes of Health study found that when both partners are overweight (BMI over 35), they face lower fertility potential than couples in which only one partner is overweight.
Recommendation is to optimize fertility thought weight optimization
According to research, losing weight by 5% to 10% can improve your fertility as well as your overall health. Healthy eating habits and regular exercise can help you achieve your desired Body Mass Index. In pursuing your weight loss, it is important to be patient and to seek the desired and necessary help that gives you the support and guidance in achieving your weight and conception goals.
Opionato (www.opionato.com) is your trusted go-to fertility expert accessible at anytime from anywhere. We assess your fertility potential and provide next-step fertility advice so your path to pregnancy is short and stress-free.
Opionato started with one woman’s personal fertility experience and the vision to give others what she lacked. Read Maja’s story here: https://www.opionato.com/blog/what-i-wish-i-knew-my-fertility-journey.