Childbirth is different for every women and should not be a generalized procedure.
New World Health Organization guidelines stress that women must have the freedom to make birth-related decisions and to be informed about international standards. This comes as evidence points to an increase in the use of medical labor interventions around the world. Those labor interventions are often being unnecessarily applied to women in labor. They also frequently disturb the positive childbirth experience of women and in some cases endanger the health of the mother and child. Examples of these types of interventions include caesarian section (C-section) and/or oxytocin infusion.
Childbirth is different for every woman and each woman should be aware of her labor choices.
In order to avoid unnecessary labor interventions, the World Health Organization (WHO) recently released an updated childbirth guidance for the intrapartum care of women. This new report includes 26 new recommendations and reveals that essential labor management and effective delivery practices should be provided to all pregnant women and newborn babies.
New labor recommendations
Some of thoe new labor recommendations include:
· Dignity, privacy, and confidentiality of women should be maintained during labor irrespective of regions and cultures.
· Women should have the freedom to decide a companion of their choice during labor.
· Epidural should be given to a woman requesting pain relief even if she is considered healthy.
· Oxytocin augmentation or caesarian section (C-section) should not be introduced unless the cervical dilation reaches 5 cm.
· Decision of preferred position during the second stage of labor should be at the discretion of the woman.
· Manual techniques like massage and relaxation techniques such as music, mindfulness, etc. should be provided to women requesting pain relief.
Opionato strongly agrees with these WHO guidelines that women should be informed and have the freedom to make birth-related decisions. Thereby, women can avoid unnecessary medical interventions and ensure the best possible childbirth experience with their own and their child’s health in mind.
Opionato (www.opionato.com) is your trusted go-to fertility expert accessible at anytime from anywhere. We assess your fertility potential and provide next-step fertility advice so your path to pregnancy is short and stress-free.
Opionato started with one woman’s personal fertility experience and the vision to give others what she lacked. Read Maja’s story here: https://www.opionato.com/blog/what-i-wish-i-knew-my-fertility-journey.